Friday, October 19, 2012

SUPRISE! New typewriter soon!!

I love the interconnectedness of everything.

First of all, I know this woman who used to be the Image Studios office manager when my dad was still alive and boss of everything--she was also a staple at Christmas Eve dinner, and a lovely person to run into unexpectedly working in one of the engineering offices at the university when I was working there.

Well, her eldest daughter messages me on FB the other day...
"Hi there! I have an odd question...do you still collect typewriters?"

I'm thinking, welllll maybe. Depends. And then I read on.



"While cleaning out my grandma's house we found an old typewriter in a black box/case...a Smith~Corona. I'm not sure what year it is or anything, but it looks to be in pretty good condition. I looked on ebay and similar ones seem to sell for about $30. Would you be interested in it at all? I thought of you when I found it so thought I'd check and see. If you want a picture I can send one when I get home from work. smile

Hope all is well with you my dear!"


So that sounds pretty cool. Could be a nice machine, but could be one I already have...but for $30? Sure I'll take a look! (that's what I was thinking, not what I actually said to her which was much more polite)

So she sends me this picture:

My response: (this is pretty accurate, I was looking at it at work with my friend/colleague Eve, who rolled her eyes profusely at the excitement)

Whaaaaaat!!!!!! OMG. WUT IZ DAT. I want it! Oh yeah!


I'm really excited. She said it was in pretty good condition, and as long as there's no mechanical malfunction I'm pretty good at cleaning, and have new ribbons if needed! AND nobody has to pay postage or risk the damage of mailing this beautiful machine (even though she is in Post Falls) because her lovely mother is going to bring it to Moscow sometime in the next few weeks! It'll definitely get some NaNo use if all goes well.

HOORAY!

I'm ridiculously excited about this.

Life is wonderful. Even if it's cold, raining, and I have no raincoats and no umbrellas.

Why can't it be a couple/few weeks later already!?

Oh right...exams, homework, and other things have to get done too. I guess I need more than a millisecond between weeks. SIGH

Satchmo Weezel signing off.

4 comments:

  1. I have a SC Sterling of my own, and it's a great typewriter. On of my all time favorites. Enjoy it" (I have no doubt you will).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Standard, which is the model right below the Sterling, and it is fantastic. It doesn't see much use here, aside from the occasional letter, but I am never disappointed when I bring it out. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! Those are excellent typewriters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh it's pretty awesome! I got it earlier than expected too. I haven't replaced the ribbon yet because the one that's on there has a little ink left to eek out during NaNo. It happens to look really lovely on the dark wood of my desk at home next to the Underwood 5 my dad gave me for my birthday this year! :D

    ReplyDelete